eBay, which pegs itself as one of the largest luxury watch marketplaces in the world, has unveiled its 2020 Luxury Watch report. The report, in the form of a simple infographic, reveals the best-selling brands in resale and the top trends to watch in 2020 according to insiders based on marketplace data.
As expected, Rolex rules resale with the brand accounting for 25% of luxury watch sales on the platform, with stainless steel sports models dominating. Following Rolex, we have Omega, Breitling, TAG Heuer and interestingly, Patek Philippe, which could suggest a lot more of their products are being made than the market assumes.
The report goes on to outline 5 trends to watch, iconic watches, top brands and top 10 watch styles, all of which are Rolex (how they arrived at these specific models is unconfirmed – be it search volume or sales). It also arrives with some interesting supporting numbers from the platform.
eBay watches by the numbers
- A watch is sold every 5 seconds on eBay
- There are over 150,000 on average daily live listings for luxury watches
- eBay sold over 2 million watches in 2019 with nearly 8 million watches sold over the past three years
Top 5 Most Expensive Watches Sold
- Patek Philippe Grand Complications Watch: $535,499.99
- Richard Mille RM11 Flyback Chronograph Rose Gold Titanium Watch: $148,000
- Audemars Piguet Millenary MC12 Tourbillon Platinum Watch: $145,000
- Patek Philippe Grand Complications Manual Gold Watch: $139,500
- Rolex 18kt Rose Gold Masterpiece Pearlmaster Pave: $100,001