As with any financial product, finding the right credit card is all about finding the card that suits your needs - and making sure you maximise your points haul for your spending habits. For example the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card earns 2.25 Qantas Frequent Flyer points per dollar spent with Qantas, so if you're a loyal Qantas flyer it makes sense to hold the Ultimate card.
One American Express card a lot of people overlook is the David Jones American Express Platinum Card because they only associate the card's benefits with shopping, and while it does have a lot of David Jones perks, there’s an additional feature that's particularly attractive, a great earn rate on supermarket and petrol purchases, with the DJ's American Express Platinum Card offering a huge 3 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent!
To celebrate Vogue American Express Fashion Night’s Out, American Express are offering a massive 75,000 Membership Rewards Points or 37,500 Qantas Points when you apply through this exclusive link by 28 August 2019, are approved and spend $1,500 outside of store in the first 3 months.
If you are someone who spends their life on the road and expenses petrol, or runs a business with multiple motor vehicles, machinery or vessels, the David Jones American Express Platinum card is going to bolster your points haul significantly. Likewise, if you’re spending a small fortune every week feeding the family, or run a food or alcohol-related business and constantly find yourself at supermarkets.
Let's put this into perspective. If you spend $400 a week at a major supermarket feeding a family of five and another $100 at a major petrol station, and make those payments on the David Jones American Express Platinum card, you'll earn 78,000 Membership Rewards points in a calendar year.
Then, of course, there are the David Jones exclusive card member benefits which include 4 points for every dollar spent in store, free gift wrapping and delivery, alterations, interest-free terms, and exclusive event invites. New cardholders can also choose between earning Memberships Rewards points or Qantas Frequent Flyer points.
The Platinum Card also provides the holder with two passes to the American Express Lounge at Sydney International Airport each year.
Here's a quick breakdown of the highlights of the David Jones American Express Platinum Card
- Receive 75,000 Membership Rewards points or 37,500 Qantas Points when you apply online by 28 August 2019, are approved and spend $1,500 outside of David Jones within the first three months of becoming a Card Member.
- Earn 4 Reward Points per $1 spent at David Jones.
- Earn 3 Reward Points per $1 spent at major supermarkets and petrol stations.
- Earn 1 Reward Point per $1 spent everywhere else
- Choose either Membership Rewards or Qantas Frequent Flyer as your rewards program.
- Enjoy complimentary access up to two entries per year to the American Express Lounge at Sydney International Airport.
- Complimentary Travel insurance when travel is booked on your card.
- Buyer’s Advantage (extended warranty).
- Up to 4 Supplementary Cards for no extra fee.
- Exclusive Card Member benefits at David Jones.
- A 20.74% p.a. interest rate and $295 annual fee.
You can read the full list of benefits and apply here.
Capitalising on such earn rates with an appropriate credit card is one of life's wonderful hacks, getting you out of the office and onto the trip of a lifetime before you know it!