Soneva Fushi Resort is looking to hire a “barefoot bookseller”. In other words, someone to run its onsite bookshop for a 6-month contract starting mid-October. Located in the Maldives, this luxurious 5-star – not to mention eco-friendly – destination reopened on September 1st, launching their Water Retreats with built-in waterslides just last week, and now… this.
Soneva Fushi’s Barefoot Bookseller program was first established in 2018 when the resort partnered with Ultimate Library. Multiple custodians of the onsite bookshop have come and gone ever since with no shortage of interest. Unsurprisingly. As outlined by the official job description, this is Robinson Crusoe-style laidback luxury meets the ultimate vacancy for a desert island bibliophile – and located in “one of the most beautiful places in the world”, no less.
Being a bookstore keeper at Soneva Fushi Resort, however, won’t just entail the selling of a few John Grisham novels here and there. As the official description also outlines, it’ll entail everything from running point on the bookshop’s marketing to customer engagement, blog posting, newsletter creation, and even hosting creative writing workshops. Check it out below.
Activities, Duties, & Responsibilities
- Day-to-day running of the bookshop including sales management, engaging guests, hosts, and visiting authors
- Responsible for all stock management and reporting back on sales & stock updates
- Hosting experiences for Soneva guests such as creative writing classes, bibliotherapy sessions, and tutoring
- Running the Barefoot Bookseller social media Instagram account and engaging with the online community
- Writing monthly blog posts & creating entertaining and informative newsletters
- Liaising with Ultimate Library & Soneva marketing teams on potential events and collaborations
Required Skills & Experience
- The candidate is required to live in the Maldives for the duration of the job period (up to 6 months)
- Excellent written and verbal English skills
- A love of reading and in-depth knowledge of both classical & modern literature
- Experience in bookselling/publishing are essential
- Strong knowledge of running social media pages and following online trends
- Experience writing blogs, newsletters & online content
- To be a team player/self-starter with a sense of fun and creativity
- To be able to efficiently organise & work to your own schedule & deadlines
- Creative Writing
The successful candidate will have pre-departure training with the Ultimate Library team conducted remotely before embarking on an unforgettable half-year experience. Applications close tomorrow – so best get a move on.
Find out more in the link below.