In 2019, American Express unveiled a new design for its Platinum Charge Card and Platinum Business Charge Cards, offered to Australians for the very first time in metal – a perk previously reserved for Centurion (AKA ‘Black Card’) holders.
Now, the American Express Platinum card is offering a very generous welcome bonus of 150,000 Bonus Membership Rewards Points. That’s 150,000 Bonus Membership Rewards Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $5,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. T&Cs apply. New Card Members only.
It’s also worth noting that this particular card, which earns Ascent Premium points, allows holders to transfer points to ten excellent frequent flyer programs, including Qantas Frequent Flyer, Singapore Airlines’ KrisFlyer, Asia Miles, Etihad Guest, and more on a 2:1 basis.
With international travel finally back on the radar, there has never been a better time to explore everything the American Express Platinum Card has to offer.
The American Express Platinum card arrives with a host of incredible perks and a $1,450 annual fee for personal cardholders. While this fee might put hairs on the back of your neck, the Amex Platinum metal card is the king of earning. You’ll earn 2.25 points per $1 spent on all purchases, and 1 point per $1 spent with government bodies – a no brainer at tax time.
Sprinkle on travel insurance and unlimited access for both primary and additional cardholders to The American Express Global Lounge Collection – which includes the The Centurion® Lounges in both Sydney and Melbourne’s international terminals, as well as The Centurion® Lounges at hubs HKG, SFO, LAX – and you’ve got an extremely tasty offering.
Of course, there’s a host of additional perks to help you justify the yearly spend on the American Express Platinum metal card including:
- No pre-set spending limit
- $450 travel credit annually (must be charged at full value or more)
- Enjoy up to $400 per calendar year when you dine from a curated collection of over 1,400 hand-selected restaurants both locally and abroad. That’s up to $200 to spend in Australia, and up to $200 to spend overseas in 19 countries. A separate one-time enrolment is required for each credit.
- Pay with Points on Fine Hotels + Resorts and The Hotel Collection.
- Access over 1,400 airport lounges in over 650 cities across 140 countries, including The Centurion® Lounge, Escape Lounges – The Centurion® Studio Partner, Priority PassRM Lounges and more Membership includes access to The Centurion® Lounge, Escape Lounges – The Centurion®Studio Partner, Priority PassTM Lounges, Plaza Premium Lounges, Delta Sky Club® Lounges (when flying Delta) and Virgin Australia Domestic Lounges (when flying Virgin Australia).
- Complimentary status & memberships with a number of hotel loyalty programs including Accor Plus Membership (valued at $399 per year)
- Stay informed with The Australian Premium subscription: The Australian Premium subscription gives you access to The Australian’s news coverage and analysis from here and around the world across all your devices as well as access to The Wall Street Journal. In addition, you will have access to exclusive member-only features including a weekly curated eNewsletter featuring a selection of the best reads from The Australian and global news partners including The Economist and Harvard Business Review, as well as biannual virtual events featuring some of The Australian’s most experienced political and business journalists. The complimentary digital subscription to The Australian Premium is available to American Express® Platinum, Platinum Business, Corporate Platinum and Qantas Corporate Platinum Card Members, including Additional and Employee Card Members.
- Receive a complimentary suite of benefits which offer an average total value of $700* at over 1,300 extraordinary properties worldwide when you book with Fine Hotels + Resorts. Complimentary benefits include guaranteed 4pm late check-out, room upgrades (subject to availability), daily breakfast for two, or a complimentary amenity valued at US$100, such as food and beverage credit or a massage for two
- Enrol and enjoy a credit for your monthly or yearly Amazon Prime subscription up to the benefit limit of $84 per calendar year when you pay with your American Express® Platinum Card. Discover all the perks like fast and free shipping on millions of eligible items, access to exclusive Amazon Originals as well as popular movies and TV shows on Prime Video, and over 100 million songs with Amazon Music Prime. Start shuffling. Benefit ends on 31 December 2025 and a one-time enrolment is required via Amex Offers either in your Online Account or Amex App. Available for the Primary Card Member only. Terms, conditions and exclusions apply. Please visit americanexpress.com.au/platinum-amazonprime to learn more. If you are new to Amazon Prime and wish to subscribe to a monthly or annual membership, please click here. If you are an existing Amazon Prime subscriber and wish to update your primary payment method to your Platinum Card, please click here.
American Express claims the benefits of the Card including the Travel Credit and Accor Plus Membership, cover the $1,450 fee.
At the end of the day, this card is about maximising and utilising points, as well as taking advantage of the myriad perks the Amex Platinum has to offer.
Here is a list of great uses for Amex Membership Rewards points to get the creative juices following:
- East Coast Australia to Perth in Business Class Return on the Qantas A330 for 72,000 Qantas points
- Sydney to Fiji in Business Class Return on Fiji Airways for 72,000 Qantas points
- East Coast Australia to Hong Kong in Premium Economy Return with Qantas for 90,000 points
- East Coast Australia to Singapore in Singapore airline’s A380 Business for 58,000 each way, or First Class for 80,000 Kris Flyer miles
*To be eligible for this card you must:
- Be over 18 years old
- Have no history of bad credit
- Have not applied for multiple credit cards recently
- Be an Australian resident
For more information on the American Express Platinum card, and to receive 150,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points, head to the American Express website. Available to new Card Members only.
If the $1,450 annual fee is a bit steep for you, check out the the American Express Qantas Ultimate Card which currently offers a great sign-on bonus too at more affordable annual cost.
Check out the The Centurion® Lounge at Sydney Airport below.
Boss Hunting earns a referral bonus from American Express for anyone that’s approved through the links in this article. This commission helps keep Boss Hunting running, and we thank you for your support.