One of the greatest British racing drivers to ever grace the Formula One circuit, Sir Sterling Moss won 212 of the 529 races he entered across several categories of competition in motorsport's golden age.
Now, at an admirable age of 89-years-old (a feat that's sadly unusual amongst his alumni of fellow drivers from the same era) Moss' charisma and skill continue to charm like no other member of the International Motorsport Hall Of Fame.
Today, we raise a glass to Sir Sterling Moss with a look back at his eight best quotes from one hell of a life in the fast lane.
1. “It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal.”
2. “Motion is tranquillity.”
3. “There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.”
4. “I believe that if a man wanted to walk on water, and was prepared to give up everything in life, he could do it.”
5. “If God had meant for us to walk, why did he give us feet that fit car pedals?”
6. “If everything is under control you are just not driving fast enough.”
7. “To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
8. “I love to feel a racing car around me, to feel the way it holds me.”