After years of chat and teasing, this is the new Land Rover Defender. The icon reimagined for the 21st century, which Land Rover claims is in a category of its own. First up we have the Defender 110 with a short wheelbase 90 to follow in 2020.
Here's what Gerry McGovern, Chief Design Officer at Land Rover has to say: “The new Defender is respectful of its past but is not harnessed by it. This is a new Defender for a New Age. Its unique personality is accentuated by its distinctive silhouette and optimum proportions, which make it both highly desirable and seriously capable – a visually compelling 4x4 that wears its design and engineering integrity with uncompromised commitment.”
Before we jump into the gallery, here's the shopping list direct from Land Rover.
• Clever and characterful with an instantly recognisable silhouette that features signature Defender elements including short front and rear overhangs.
• Durable new D7x architecture engineered to withstand the Extreme Event Test procedure, above and beyond the normal standard for SUV.
• World-class expert off and on-road, redefining breadth of capability, all-terrain ability is beyond question, on-road comfort adds to its character.
• A maximum payload of up to 900kg, static roof load of up to 300kg, dynamic roof load of 168kg, towing capacity of 3,500kg* and wading depth of up to 900mm combine to make new Defender the ultimate 4x4 for overland adventures.
• Intelligent off-road tech with Land Rover’s pioneering Terrain Response 2 technology with new Wade programme and world-first off-road Configurable Terrain Response allowing experts and novices to optimise traction no matter the conditions.
• Electrified powertrains introduced to Defender with advanced mild-hybrid and plug-in electric vehicle options, as well as powerful and efficient petrol and diesel engines.
• Debuts new Pivi Pro infotainment featuring an intuitive interface while Software-Over-The-Air updates provide the latest software at all times, anywhere in the world.
• A functional, durable and flexible interior with exposed structural elements and a central front jump seat.
• Defender 110 available with 5+2 seating in four distinct Accessory Packs (Explorer, Adventure, Country and Urban) and with 170 individual accessories. Will be joined by a smaller Defender 90 and versatile and durable commercial models from 2020.
Defender 110 indicative price from AU$70,000 (+ORCs), available from June 2020 with Defender 90 pricing to be announced Q2, 2020.
Now, we'll leave you to the gallery.
Spec your own Defender at landrover.com.au