The Dallas Cowboys have topped Forbes annual list of most valuable sports teams for the fourth year running. Despite having not won a championship for 23 years, the Cowboys have been a global marketing powerhouse since owner Jerry Jones purchased the franchise 30 years ago for a paltry $150 million USD. Now the most well-known NFL team in the world, the Cowboys are worth a whopping $5 billion USD with an operating income of $365 million USD.
Coming in at second spot is the New York Yankees with an estimated worth of $4.6 billion USD, while Spain's two biggest football teams, Real Madrid ($4.24 billion USD) and Barcelona ($4.02 billion), battle it out in the third and fourth spots.
NBA heavyweights the Los Angeles Lakers ($3.5 billion USD) and Golden State Warriors ($3.5 billion USD) took out spots eight and nine with the New York Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers rounding out the top 10 with a value of $3.3 billion USD.
Check out the top 10 below and head to Forbes for the full list of 50 teams.
- Dallas Cowboys – $5 billion
- New York Yankees – $4.6 billion
- Real Madrid – $4.24 billion
- F.C. Barcelona – $4.02 billion
- New York Knicks – $4 billion
- Manchester United – $3.81 billion
- New England Patriots – $3.81 billion
- Los Angeles Lakers – $3.5 billion
- Golden State Warriors – $3.5 billion
- New York Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers – $3.3 billion (tied)