Date night can always be a daunting endeavour when it comes to being your turn to choose the location. The aim is to find a place that's upscale enough to impress, but not too much that it breaks the bank; having something decent to pour into your glass is a bonus, as is lighting and ambience that'll help set the mood.
Here are some of our top date night spots in Sydney.
Love, Tilly Devine - Darlinghurst
If you’re looking for the perfect intimate setting paired with an impressive list of wines, look no further. As an added bonus, here you can be served with a side of buffalo mozzarella and slow-cooked octopus. Named after crime queen and darling Madame, Matilda Devine, this prime location is nestled in one of Darlinghurst's tight alleyways.
- Pros: Great selection of organic and low-intervention winemakers, mind-blowing food menu, ideal date-night ambience.
- Cons: You might end up sharing your date with another couple or two as the space can get a little crowded. The mezzanine area should do the trick, but requires you to get in quick (as it usually fills up).
The Wine Library - Woollahra
The Wine Library is perfect for a casual yet sophisticated date night, yet one where you don't have to shy away from chowing down on a good feed. It’s a great place to bring your date to enjoy a homely vibe, complete with warm customer service and an easy-going setting.
- Pros: Ideal intimate setting with decent service and a wide variety of wines to suit your taste.
- Cons: If you want to grab a table for a two on a walk in, the chances are highly unlikely. Don't risk it and cop a booking.
10 William Street - Paddington
If you want to take your date to a place that throws off serious Euro vibes, then 10 William Street is the perfect wine bar for you. Decked out in a vintage leather mixed-metal interior, this bar will teleport you to 1950's Italy, oozing that romantic subtlety that you're undoubtedly looking for. The food menu is strictly Italiano, with a range of Italian wines to choose from. Take my advice and sample a Tuscany red!
- Pros: A properly romantic setting that makes you feel a world away, with a stacked international wine selection.
- Cons: You might get into that find yourself saying, "Sorry, what was that?" more than a few times given the acoustics.
Where's Nick - Marrickville
Where's Nick serves an impressive mix of organic and minimal mediation wines, yet another alternate venue hopping on the natural wine bandwagon. This one's a win for your more plant-based inclined dates, or for the dates that just prefer to keep it clean.
- Pros: Bursting with personality, easily accessible.
- Cons: As to be expected, it can get really, really packed, even on weeknights. If you don't like natural wine or craft beer maybe give this one a miss.
Prince Of York - Sydney
Prince Of York turns heads - not just because of its eclectic list of wines - but for the nature of the multi-level venue itself. The ebullient wine bar sits atop Pamela's, which is the logical progression to getting your groove on should the night go well.
- Pros: Convenient for post-work dates as it sits in the heart of the CBD, harder hitting drinks available.
- Cons: Steer clear if you don't want to be dragged onto the d-floor...
Dear Sainte Eloise - Potts Point
One of the most hyped date spots in the country, Dear Sainte Eloise is a venue with a heavy emphasis on vino. With a list of 400 wines, neither you or your date are allowed to be bored from the selection. The blinded windows evokes seclusion and intimacy, suitable for those deeper conversations where you have no idea what's going on.
- Pros: Extremely affordable, choices aren't limited.
- Cons: This isn't the place for a sit down meal.
BART Jr. - Redfern
If you’re a Redfern local, then you're probably already familiar with Bart Jr., the edgy bar with tremendous tipples. The wine menu is constantly changing, with something new to try every time you visit, making it a great go-to spot for the serial dater that never quite feels like the same place as the time before.
- Pros: The rotating wine and food menu is fast and loose.
- Cons: I can't fault it. Plenty of space in a convenient location with great food and drinks for every level of drinker.
Fix Wine Bar + Restaurant - Sydney CBD
Fix Wine Bar and restaurant is known to be one of Sydney’s tier one wine bars. This trusty bar lives in a quiet compound away from the noise, spreading over a spacious split-level design with a heap of nice places to sit and drink. The seasonal food menu is also a treat, with the option to obviously dine as you wine with your date.
- Pros: A great selection of wines, that'll encourage your indecisive girlfriend to finally pick something.
- Cons: It has a little more of a mature feel than the others, which is perfect if that's what you're swaying an old soul.