Many will tell you that comedy is subjective. Many others (and probably in the very comment section of this article) won’t even bother opening the link to this write-up/video, and just contest the headline with some other bullshit pick of theirs.
One individual, however, backs Superbad as the ultimate millennial comedy, and even makes a pretty compelling case for why in their breakdown. And yes, we’re pretty inclined to back him on every point.
To summarise very briefly, key reasons include:
- Being consistently funny throughout
- Having a steady stream of hilarious escalation
- The fact that it doesn’t go for the cheap laughs
- The fact that is doesn’t resort to bare-titted raunchiness
- The well-defined characters
- Use of jokes to explore character rather than cram in a line
- The authentically awkward touch
- Depicting late-teen life in a relatable and genuine manner
- The “surprisingly tender” coming-of-age story
- The bittersweet bro ending
- The McLovin ID scene (no question)
Watch the full video below to find out why Superbad is the greatest millennial comedy of all time.