Following a successful inaugural Qantas Points Auction earlier this year, in which Qantas Frequent Flyers exchanged a total of 12.3 million points for exclusive items and experiences like some preloved A380 Business Class seats, Australia’s flagship carrier has decided to pull the trigger on yet another points bidding frenzy.
The second-ever Qantas points auction has already gone live, with the airline auctioning off a luxury South Australian getaway to get proceedings underway. After that, the points auction will stretch for a total of 9 days, ending on December 9 with two items – a pair of preloved A380 Premium Economy seats and a full-sized bar cart with Qantas crockery and cutlery, with a starting bid of 100k Qantas points, and a preloved A330 Business Class seat with both a full-sized bar cart and a converter to plug it into an outlet, also starting at 100k Qantas points.
As with the first points auction, the program will feature one rare item or curated experience per day. There’s no 787-9 simulator session or private Dash-8 charter flight, like this time, but there are some fascinating travel options like two return Business Class tickets to London with an 8-day stay at the iconic May Fair hotel and a round of luxury experiences like a private 3-hour appointment with high-end perfumery Floris London and an experience at AIRE Ancient Baths. That particular gem comes with a starting bid of 500k Qantas points, but obviously, it’s going to rake in much more than that.
A total of 10 items will be going under the hammer across the online-only Qantas Points Auction.
The highest starting bid will be 3.5 million Qantas points. That’s the lowest ask for a baller Hamilton Island trip for up to 24 people on one of the luxury private jets formerly owned by the Dutch Royal family, inclusive of Champagne and a continental breakfast on board, a scenic flight over the Great Barrier Reef, a luxury private charter to Whitehaven Beach with a gourmet picnic, and access to Catseye Beach via kayak, paddleboard, or catamaran.
Although it’s the international trips that are looking the most exciting. In addition to the London one detailed above, there’s a luxury ski trip to Whistler up for grabs, inclusive of a 6-night stay for 2 at the majestic Fairmont Chateau Whistler with 4-day ski access and a private experience on the slopes with an Olympian. The trip will also include a full-day heli-assisted backcountry ski tour with a special private dinner by snowmobile at Bearfoot Bistro’s private wine cellar.
“The response to our first Points Auction was phenomenal,” said Qantas Loyalty CEO Olivia Wirth.
“We saw tens of thousands of visitors to the auction site with our frequent flyers really embracing the opportunity to use their points to treat themselves and their loved ones to once-in-a-lifetime experience.”
Check out the full list of items and experiences available during this current Qantas Points Auction.
Wednesday, December 1: “South Australia at its luxurious best” (starting bid: 100k Qantas Points)
- 2 return Business flights to Adelaide
- 2 nights at The Louise, located in the heart of the Barossa, including dinner for 2 with paired wines at fine dining restaurant Appellation, and a scenic helicopter tour of the Barossa Valley.
- 2 nights at EOS by SkyCity, including indulgent spa & wellness treatments, a 4-course dinner for 2 with matches wines at Sol restaurant, and a private foraging trip with Head Chef Kane Pollard.
- A full day Yalumba winery tour for 2 hosted by 6th Generation family member Jessica Hill-Smith.
- Car hire for 5 days.
Thursday, December 2: “Iconic London wrapped up in one amazing package” (starting bid: 500k Qantas Points)
- 2 return Business Class flights to London.
- 8-day night stay at the 5-star May Fair Hotel.
- Half day helicopter tour of London with a stopover for lunch at Heston Blumenthal’s Michelin-starred restaurant, The Hind’s Head in Bray.
- A private 3-hour appointed with one of London’s leading high-end perfumers, Floris London, to design a signature scent.
- Private tour of London in a Mini Cooper to discover some of London’s best kept secrets with a local.
- AIRE Ancient Baths experience including a relaxing massage and a private red wine soak bath.
Friday, December 3: “SYD for NYE – The best New Year’s Eve of your life” (starting bid: 100k Qantas Points)
- 3-night stay for 2 in a King Opera Deluxe room at Park Hyatt Sydney overlooked the Sydney Opera House.
- Special New Year’s Eve dinner package for 2 at The Dining Room, Park Hyatt Sydney.
- Champagne long lunch for 2 at the Park Hyatt on Thursday, December 30.
- A bottle of Veuve Clicquot Champagne provided on NYE and 2 pairs of Qantas First Class pyjamas.
Saturday, December 4: “Winter in Whistler – luxury ski package” (starting bid: 500k Qantas Points)
- 2 return Business Class flights to Vancouver.
- 6-night stay for 2 guests at Fairmont Chateau Whistler.
- 4-day ski access at Whistler including equipment rental and lift passes.
- 1 full day heli-assisted backcountry ski tour with Extremely Canadian and Blackcomb Helicopters.
- Special private dinner by snowmobile to the Beartfroot Bistro dinner in a private wine cellar experience including Champagne sabering, and a trip to the Kelet One Vodka Ice Room.
Sunday, December 5: “First Class all the way – Neil Perry x Pommery dining experience” (starting bid: 100k Qantas Points)
- A 5-course bespoke menu created with the freshest seasonal ingredients prepared by Neil Perry for 15 people in Qantas’ First Lounge in Sydney.
- Pommery Champagne on arrival and a Cuvee paired with each course.
- A selection of still wines from the Qantas First Lounge.
Monday, December 6: “Tee time – a day on the green at Huntingdale Golf Course” (starting bid: 100k Qantas Points)
- 18 holes of golf at the members-only Huntingdale Golf Course (in Melbourne) for 4 people.
- Lunch of dinner (depending on tee time) at the club house restaurant.
- Puma Golf apparel pack for each player.
- Garmin Approach S62 Golf watch for all 4 players (valued at $799 each).
- Use of Garmin Golf equipment on the day, including rangefinders and launch monitors.
Tuesday, December 7: “The private jet set – a luxury day trip to Hamilton Island” (starting bid: 3.5 million Qantas Points)
- Luxurious private jet, previously owned by the Dutch Royal family, for up to 24 people from Brisbane Airports VIP Terminal to Hamilton Island.
- Champagne and continental breakfast onboard.
- Scenic flight over the Great Barrier Reef.
- Luxury private charter boat to world-famous Whitehaven Beach, including a gourmet picnic.
- Visit Catseye Beach by kayak, paddleboard or catamaran, or take in the view by the Main Pool.
Wednesday, December 8: “On the pitch with Ricky – tour the MCG with Ricky Ponting” (starting bid: 100k Qantas Points)
- A tour of the Melbourne Cricket Ground and locker rooms for 6 people, accompanied by Ricky Ponting, lunch and a Ponting Wines tasting session.
Thursday, December 9: “Upgrade your lounge room – pair of pre-loved A380 Premium Economy seats” (starting bid: 100k Qantas Points)
- Also includes a preloved, full-sized bar cart including a set of Qantas crockery and cutlery.
Thursday, December 9: “Sky-high slumber – a pre-loved A330 Business Class Seat” (starting bid: 100k Qantas Points)
- Also includes a preloved, full-sized bar cart including a set of Qantas crockery and cutlery and a converter to plug it into an electrical outlet for recline function and reading lights.