Billed as our sunburnt nation’s “largest whisky democracy”, the connoisseurs behind the Australian Whisky Awards have once again come together to recognise the very best local distilleries, industry personalities, and venues of 2021.
As to be expected from a distillery that’s practically synonymous with Australian whisky – and the driving force which essentially set the tone for the Aussie whisky scene as a whole – Tasmanian operation Lark has taken the top prize in two key categories: Whisky of the Year (Christmas Cask Release III) and, of course, Distillery of the Year.
“Each year, our Head Distiller carefully selects Tasmanian red wine casks filled with the jus used by local artisan patisserie Jean Pascal for making their renowned Christmas fruit mince pies,” Lark explains of its Christmas Cask Release III.
“These fresh, festive casks are then emptied and transported to Lark Distilling Co. where they are filled with our own seasonal spirit.”
“The result is Christmas in a glass: nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla custard on the nose give way to gingerbread, citrus peel and liquid plum pudding with lashings of yuletide cheer.”
Lark Christmas Cask Release III Tasting Notes
- Nose: Aromatic spice-led notes of clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, and dried cirtrus dance with the soft sweetness of stewed apples and vanilla custard.
- Palate: The gentle spice and warmth of gingerbread meets the rich comfort of a Christmas plum pudding, citrus peel, sticky toffee sauce, and all.
- Finish: Long, complex, and inviting.
You can cop a 500ml bottle of the good stuff (46% ABV) for just $249.99 here.
As for the Australian Whisky Awards for 2021’s full result list – check it out below.
Australian Whisky Awards (2021) – Winners List
- Whisky of the Year (Sponsored By Audio Influence & Wharfedale)
Gold – Lark Christmas Cask Release III
Silver – Overeem Bourbon 12 Year old
Bronze – Archie Rose Whisky in Every Port
- Distillery of the Year (Sponsored By The Old Barrelhouse)
Gold – Lark
Silver – Archie Rose Distilling Co.
Bronze – Overeem
- Distiller/Producer of the Year (Sponsored By Audio Influence & Wharfedale)
Gold – Kristy Booth-Lark
Silver – Crafty Craig Field
Bronze – Lisa Truscott
- Personality of the Year (Sponsored By Audio Influence & Wharfedale)
Gold – Matt Bailey
Silver – Bill Lark
Bronze – Crafty Field
- Venue of the Year (Sponsored By Pure Scot)
Gold – Archie Rose Bar & Cellar Door
Silver – Whisky & Alement
Bronze – Elysian Whisky Bar