Matt Stone & Jo Barrett’s understanding of self-sufficiency and traceability aligns perfectly with the values at Patrón, who champion additive-free tequila handcrafted the traditional way. We teamed up with Matt to design three delicious – and conscious – dishes to pair with Patrón’s range that you can cook at home.
“Flank steak is an affordable and underrated cut that forms a wonderful crust when cooked well,” says chef Matt Stone. “I like to marinate the flank (any steak can be used to substitute) with Chipotle then cook the steak whole, and slice it to serve. The punchy salsa is made with blackened chillies, tomatoes and spring onions, garnished with fresh herbs to finish.”
- 200g tin chipotle peppers
- 30ml vegetable oil
- 500g flank steak (Matt prefers O’Connor beef sourced at Meatsmith. At the very lead it should be grass fed and local)
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 long red chillies
- Apple cider vinegar (or vinegar of your choice)
1. Blend the tin of chipotle peppers with the oil. A stick blender or Nutribullet works well. Coat the steak with half the chipotle marinade and season. Leftover marinade will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Rest the steak on the bench so it comes up to room temperature.
2. Heat the barbecue to high then char the chillies, spring onions and tomatoes. Set aside to cool slightly, then peel and deseed the chillies and tomatoes. Chop charred vegetables finely then transfer to a mixing bowl. Add a splash of vinegar and olive oil, season to taste and mix well to combine.
3. Barbecue the steak to your liking. I like to cook mine to medium rare. Rest well before slicing.
4. Transfer sliced steak to a large plate, top with the salsa and serve. Serve with a glass of Patrón Añejo or mix up a batch of Patrón Old Fashioned. Enjoy!
Complete Matt Stone’s Patrón pairing menu with his Cured Rainbow Trout With Pickled Cucumber And Corn Chips and barbecued Sweet Corn With Tabasco Mayo And Grilled Lime, designed to be enjoyed alongside a glass of Patrón Silver and Patrón Reposado.
This article is proudly presented in partnership with Patrón Tequila. Thank you for supporting the brands who support Boss Hunting.