Gone are the days of bulky electric bicycles, once labelled as nothing but a cheap and unsightly novelty. These days, the hybrid offerings are far more visually subtle. Elegant and sophisticated, even. Such is the case with the latest Mercedes-Benz EQ Formula E Team eBike produced alongside n+.
Housing the batteries and power unit internally as to conceal what would almost certainly be an eyesore, on first impressions, you’d easily mistake the Formula E Team eBike’s streamlined silhouette for a conventional bicycle. Upon closer inspection, however, you’ll notice the tubes of the hand-polished aluminium frame are just ever-so-slightly thicker than usual. That’s where the “e” parts of the eBike are stored.
With a 36v/7ah Panasonic Cells 252-watt removable battery which you can pop out via quick release – or keep in place to quick-charge using the integrated charging port – this baby is fully juiced up in a relatively brief 3.5 hours. In terms of power output, the Mercedes eBike’s top speed comes to 32 km/h with a decent range of 60-100 kilometres.
Given how the batteries and power unit is mounted right in the centre, the 36v/250w Mid Drive With Torque Sensing System power unit/motor effectively delivers 50/50 weight distribution. The Mercedes eBike weighs a total of 17kg.
Additional features include the following:
- Gates carbon belt drive which doesn’t require any oil or maintenance until after 30,000 kilometres
- Pedal-assist technology which senses torque + power input to match with electric motor assistance, e.g. pedal harder, boost harder; slowing down, throttle down
- Hydraulic disc brakes – “unbelievable stopping power in both dry & wet conditions”
- Sturmey Archer 5-speed internal hub drivetrain
- Built-in LED top tube display
- Kendra Ks puncture-resistant tyres
The Mercedes-Benz EQ Formula E Team eBike is currently retailing for $4,367. But for those of you seeking the step above, you can check out the deluxe Silver Arrows eBike which will set you back $6,141.