After the success of The Test – which chronicled the Australian cricket team’s prolific fall from grace and eventual redemption arc – Amazon Prime Video is now releasing a seven-part documentary series about the tumultuous 2020 AFL season titled Making Their Mark (produced in collaboration with Eddie McGuire’s Jam TV).
Each hour-long episode will explore how six teams navigated the eventful year that was – every trial, tribulation, struggle both on and off the field. Major events audiences can expect to see from a different light include:
- the 12-week suspension due to COVID-19, which brought the league to an absolute standstill (eventually forcing a condensed season)
- the growing pains faced by Gold Coast coach Stuart Dew and his younger playing group
- what life was like inside the “quarantine hub” for key players
- the impact of racial abuse faced by Carlton’s Eddie Betts
- the moment Greater Western Sydney captain Stephen Coniglio was dropped
… all culminating in history’s very first Grand Final to be hosted outside of Melbourne.
The series will follow these players and executives:
- Nic Naitanui (West Coast Ruckman)
- Stuart Dew (Gold Coast Coach)
- Stephen Coniglio (Greater Western Sydney Captain)
- Eddie Betts (Carlton Forward)
- Rory Sloane (Adelaide Captain)
- Peggy O’Neal (Richmond Football Club President)
- Brendon Gale (Richmond Football Club CEO)
- Damien Hardwick (Richmond Football Club Senior Coach)
“Making Their Mark is a true celebratory snapshot of the 2020 AFL season,” says director Gil Marsden.
“We were not only able to showcase the best of the best players at the top of their game, but also the teams’ resilience on their road to victory.
“A crisis like [COVID-19] tested the strength and determination of every team in the league, whilst the teams continue to be delivering the best AFL for fans across the year.”
“It is an incredible honour to be trusted by our clubs to witness firsthand their sacrifices and challenges this season, which culminates on-screen with Richmond’s epic Grand Final win.”
“Making Their Mark provides fans incredible behind-the-scenes access in a history-making season like no other,” says Sarah Wyse, AFL Media & Digital Manager.
“The docuseries is just another way fans can connect on a deeper level with the game they love. We are thrilled to be working with Amazon Prime Video and excited to bring fans even closer to the action.”
Making Their Mark will be available to stream via Amazon Prime Video starting from March 12th – watch the first trailer above.