With over 15 years in the public eye, a drug addict turned celebrity foodie Anthony Bourdain has proven himself to be one of the most entertaining characters on television. In a world of over the top political correctness, Bourdain brings a refreshing authenticity to the small screen, and over the course of his media career he has come out with some seriously on point words of wisdom. Here’s 19 of the best Anthony Bourdain quotes.
1. I don’t have to agree with you to like you or respect you.
2. If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them – wherever you go.
3. Your body is not a temple, it’s an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.
4. Maybe that’s enlightenment enough: to know that there is no final resting place of the mind; no moment of smug clarity. Perhaps wisdom…is realizing how small I am, and unwise, and how far I have yet to go.
5. To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living. Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit and affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food.
6. Luck is not a business model.
7. Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria’s mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once.
8. Don’t lie about it. You made a mistake. Admit it and move on. Just don’t do it again. Ever.
9. Skills can be taught. Character you either have or you don’t have.
10. They’re professionals at this in Russia, so no matter how many Jell-O shots or Jager shooters you might have downed at college mixers, no matter how good a drinker you might think you are, don’t forget that the Russians – any Russian – can drink you under the table.
11. Good food is very often, even most often, simple food.
12. Open your mind, get up off the couch, move.
13. I am in no way supportive of hunting for trophies or sport – would never do it and don’t like it that others do. But if you kill it, then eat it, it’s fine.
14. I wanted kicks – the kind of melodramatic thrills and chills I’d yearned for since childhood, the kind of adventure I’d found as a little boy in the pages of my Tintin comic books.
15. We know, for instance, that there is a direct, inverse relationship between frequency of family meals and social problems. Bluntly stated, members of families who eat together regularly are statistically less likely to stick up liquor stores, blow up meth labs, give birth to crack babies, commit suicide, or make donkey porn. If Little Timmy had just had more meatloaf, he might not have grown up to fill chest freezers with Cub Scout parts.
16. There’s something wonderful about drinking in the afternoon. A not-too-cold pint, absolutely alone at the bar.
17. Under ‘Reasons for Leaving Last Job’, never give the real reason, unless it’s money or ambition.
18. Without new ideas, success can become stale
19. Don’t touch my dick, don’t touch my knife.