For the first time in over 100 years, one of the finest properties in Victoria is being offered as a house; albeit for a considerable $10 million premium. Tucked away on 24-28 George Street, East Melbourne is a superb conversion which has managed to transform a post office into one of the inner city’s “most significant and spectacular” luxury residencies (and situated on a landmark parcel of land).
“East Melbourne is a very tightly held suburb with only a handful of sales per year for houses,” explains Sarah Case of RT Edgar.
“But this property in particular is one of the largest blocks in East Melbourne at 727 square metres, so it’s a rare find. A lot of buyers will be surprised that such a block of land exists in East Melbourne and even more surprised about the 687 square metres of internal.”
While it retains the former post office’s distinctive 1920s façade, the interior has undergone an extremely well-considered and truly stunning contemporary update by one Charles Salter – resulting in a living space that’s nothing short of unforgettable. In this generous 4-bedroom and 3-bathroom property, you’ll encounter verdant leafy outlooks, more natural light than you could ever hope for, and an abundance of character provided by the rich presence of wood.
According to the listing, an adjoining study and library has been “astutely forged” from the post office’s original second street entry and private post box collection area. Navigating to the outside world, it all unfolds to a “totally private botanic oasis and exquisite conservatory.”
“My vendors have crafted an amazing extension… They had incredible vision 30 years ago, as the property is completely timeless – the new owners can move straight in with nothing to do.”
Other standout features include the following:
- commercial-grade kitchen equipped w/ VIKING Range, handcrafted timber island, fully-appointed butler’s pantry
- outdoor BBQ kitchen
- “deep vine-clad” terrace + “lush landscaped” courtyard
- entertainment room w/ built-in seating, full bar
- grand fireplace
- palatial skylit bathroom
- copper-roofed conservatory w/ pool beneath an overlaid floor (currently being used as an artist’s studio; can be easily reconfigured into more living/accommodation space or revert into being a pool)
- 1,200-bottle cellar w/ tasting facility + additional storage
- automated garden irrigation
- intercom w/ CCTV security
- remote gates to basement & double garage w/ dumb waiter
- hydronic heating & ducted air conditioning
Check out the East Melbourne George Street post office conversion below.